Sunday, August 28, 2011

CAS for the month of March

The month of march was not one of the best months for me even though it contained a lot of service and action. This was because i was extremely sick with malaria throughout the month. I had malaria through the whole month but it was only detected in the last couple of weeks of march. Therefore i managed to do a lot when i was still going to school.

SAISA Track & Field
The track and field competition was at the end of march and so as soon as we got back from SAISA football i headed into track and field training along with a few other members of the football team. A lot of people tried out for the team and we had practices very regularly. I went for every training that i could go for even though i was already showing symptoms of malaria like fever. I only missed one training in the whole season until i was admitted into the hospital, showing perseverance and commitment in my activities. The first few training sessions were very rigorous and the coach had us building up our stamina as well as power in our muscles to help us run faster and longer. I learnt new techniques in the field events like shot and long jump and also undertook new challenges by trying out for discuss throw. I developed my sprinting and long jump skills by attending as many training sessions as i could. Sadly one week before the team left for the tournament in Delhi i was admitted into the hospital with malaria. I was very disappointed with the whole situation as i was one of the main contenders in the U-19 boys section of the team. My teammates were also very disappointed about me not being able to make it at the last minute. I felt like i had let the whole team down but the situation was beyond my control so i had to live with it.

Football tournament
There was a football tournament around the same time as SAISA athletics for which i was part of the team but again i could not take part in it because of malaria.Our team did well in the first few stages of the tournament but due to lots of injuries and absences.

After i was discharged from the hospital, i had to go through one week of recovery at home before i could get back to school ,which did not leave me with much time to do CAS activities in this month. I was also extremely weak and been told by the doctor not to take part in any physical activities.

So i dedicated the rest of the month to community service and guitar practice.

Community Service
The month of march was dominated by planning a fundraising party for our community service. Since i was the new leader of the service i had the job of organizing the whole fundraiser by working collaboratively with the rest of the service members. I assigned everyone a job and took it upon myself to find and organize a venue and a DJ for the party. Rasmus, my co-leader helped me with whatever needed to be done . We made posters to advertise the party and set a date for the party in April. We faced a lot of problems with the date, venue and many other factors but we persevered and worked hard and were able to organize the event properly without having to reschedule like we were forced to in the last semester. The group met every week to decide the different parts of the event and agreed as a group on the decisions to be made.

March was not a very productive month for me in action but it helped me catch up on my service and creativity which had taken the backseat in the past few months with all the sports activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment